Thursday, February 19, 2009

Religulous


I don’t know. This is the statement Bill Marher makes in his documentary Religulous. I watched his movie tonight and it has provoked much thought. I don’t know what to make of it. It is not the best or most balanced documentary I have ever seen, I think Michel Moor has made more legitimate films, but he did bring up many arguments that require much thought. Mr. Maher at least tries to attack all religions equally, with the exception of atheism, and comes to the conclusion that all religion must cease to improve the state of mankind. To my understanding he believes that religion will be the currier of the apocalypse if not checked immediately, and replaced with humility and doubt. His perspective is, as he sees it, the only logical conclusion when weighing all facts, as he understands them. There were only a handful who appeared to be somewhat intelligent in the parade of ignorant people who make up the religious leaders whom he decided to flaunt in the face of his audience. Through all the self-righteous, slanted, Colbert-esk Q & A he did, it hurt me to see the Christian leaders he spoke with looking like the most ignorant, prideful, greedy bunch. This more than anything ells offended me. Not because Mr. Maher shined a spotlight on what is the biggest shortcoming of Christianity but that we as Christians have such a dark side. We have fallen so far from what Christ told us to be. The church or body of Christ is possibly the farthest thing from what it should be; Christ. I saw that Christians are using the message of Christ as a means of financial and social gain. This is wrong! Popoff and others like him are doing harm to Christ and his body I don’t know how to stop them without being just as guilty as they are.I know all I can do is live as Christ wants me to and there is a pattern for that and that pattern is Christ. He lived among the sick, poor, broken and sinful and exploited no one, except for the glory of God. I do not have that ability to exploit, except in myself, and I think it my duty to exploit myself as often as there is opportunity for the glory of God. I hope that anyone who watches Mr. Maher’s movie will know that there is much poor representation of the truth. Among other things, he says that that none of the gospels’ authors were eye witnesses to the life of Christ and this is not true Matthew, Mark and John were all eye witnesses Luke is the only one who was not an apostle and could be argued was not an eye witness. Please live as Christ love all mankind, help the poor, care for the sick, God loves all those he created and that includes every one of all backgrounds regardless of religion, social status, race, gender, or sexual orientation. Be as wise a serpents and as gentle as doves. Don’t be some ignorant religious fanatic quoting all the quips that are ingrained in us as the right answer. There is one thing that can be mocked but not refuted and that is unconditional love. We don’t need to argue with people until they have an epiphany, that will never work. We must love them unconditionally and let Christ lead them. II Thessalonians 4:11I Love Bill Maher!

No comments: