Thursday, June 26, 2008

Christians are homophobic and proud.

I’m living in Oregon currently and am noticing a common trend. The people I live with and call my brothers and sisters are not living a life that resembles Christ's. Over and over I keep hearing Christians say things which I consider hateful. “Wow that guy looks like a flamer!” or “I’m glad we have bolt action rifles so I can hunt homosexuals,” or “I know I’m a homophobe but so what they’re sick.” Most are said in jest with flippancy but that is not the way of Christ. Matthew 19:19 Jesus replied, “Do not murder, do not commit adultery, do not steal, do not give false testimony, 19honor your father and mother, and love your neighbor as yourself.” Nothing groundbreaking there we have heard it many times but why do we find it so heard to love our neighbors as ourselves, why cant we even love our neighbors enough to stop saying this kind of crap long enough to tell them that we love them.

I can’t see Christ sitting on the side of the road joking with his followers about someone being poor, a prostitute, a thief, over weight, a gossip, or a homosexual. These people created in God’s image are loved dearly by him and they are our neighbors. If all we can do to those who have never done us injury, who live among us and only want respect is spew out this vial, hateful filth (out of the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks) how could we ever love our enemies? Luke 6:27-36 27"But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, 28bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. 29If someone strikes you on one cheek, turn to him the other also. If someone takes your cloak, do not stop him from taking your tunic. 30Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. 31Do to others as you would have them do to you. 32"If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? Even 'sinners' love those who love them. 33And if you do good to those who are good to you, what credit is that to you? Even 'sinners' do that. 34And if you lend to those from whom you expect repayment, what credit is that to you? Even 'sinners' lend to 'sinners,' expecting to be repaid in full. 35But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back. Then your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High, because he is kind to the ungrateful and wicked. 36Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful.

These people have never done you harm! Stop hurting them! Stop your judging! Who are you to judge!?! Only God has that right! Be like Christ! And Stop taking his name if you wont fallow his teachings!

2 comments:

Brian Pannell said...

Hey man....NOT everyone you live with thsi summer feels that way dude...show me some love!

Jocelyn Rochelle said...

Wow. I was crying! I feel the same way. I have been hearing people at church saying things like "Christians against Obabma" and it makes me sick. I don't feel like you have to be a Republican to be a follower of Christ-I think that is a horrible message to those who overhear them-it is saying "be like us or die" Why can't we love those who think differently? Why is that so hard to do? I (by the way) am a Democrat-and I love God....why do I feel like I am in trouble for it?